Doing something so noble before I leave the house makes me feel oddly connected to the world… putting something so wonderfully delicious and nutritious into my body and the body of someone I love is a very happy-making thing to do.
My mother is the inspiration for the juice. She has been making it every morning for the last 10 years and since then, has very rarely got sick, despite the fact she is a school principle and is always around children!
Ingredients for 2 people typically include:
- 8-10 carrots, which I estimate to be a bit under a pound as a 5 pound bag lasts me about 5 days
- 1 apple, I prefer granny smith as they don’t go mushy when juiced but it’s a personal preference thing so will often depend on what you have laying around
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 (little) beet, or a decent sized wedge if you have large beets (you don’t need to peel these)
- a bunch of parsley, I like the curly stuff because it’s easy to pull off the stalks
- a nugget of ginger, the more ginger you can put in, the better for you but not everyone can handle the burn!
- sometime I also add spinach if I need to use it up
Juice it all up in your juicer… I love my Oscar VitalMax 900 as masticating juicers (i.e. ones that gently squeeze out the juice) keep more of the goodness in the ingredients than centrifugal juicers which pulverize the ingredients at high speeds (and temperatures) to get the juice out. It’s a personal preference and these things are expensive but I have had no second thoughts about Oscar – I love him.
It adds about 10 minutes to my morning routine but it’s totally worth it – it makes me feel invincible!
Nutritional Info, per serve
- Calories = 130
- Carbs (g) = 39
- Fat (g) = 1
- Protein (g) = 4
- Sugar (g) = 30
- Iron (%) = 3% RDI
Additional Goodness :)
- Potassium (mg) = 286.8
- Vitamin A (%) = 991%
- Vitamin C (%) = 27.9%
- Calcium (%) = 78.8%