Doing something so noble before I leave the house makes me feel oddly connected to the world… putting something so wonderfully delicious and nutritious into my body and the body of someone I love is a very happy-making thing to do.
My mother is the inspiration for the juice. She has been making it every morning for the last 10 years and since then, has very rarely got sick, despite the fact she is a school principle and is always around children!
For 2 people typically include the following, amounts for 1 liter juice fasting in (brackets):
- 8-10 (15 or ~1.8lbs) carrots
- 1 (3) apples, I prefer granny smith as they don’t go mushy when juiced but it’s a personal preference thing so will often depend on what you have laying around
- 2 (3) celery stalks, or 4 (6) if you buy the celery hearts pre-cut to remove the leafy parts
- 1 (2) beets - you don’t need to peel these, and consider including the leaves if you buy they
- 1/4 (1/2) large bunch parsley - I like the curly stuff because it’s easy to pull off the stalks
- 1/2 (1) lemon – peeled but leaving as much rind as possible as it contains loads of goodness; some people don’t even peel organic lemons before juicing
- a nugget of ginger, the more ginger you can put in, the better for you but not everyone can handle the burn!
- Juice it all up in your juicer!
I love my Oscar VitalMax 900 as masticating juicers (i.e. ones that gently squeeze out the juice) keep more of the goodness in the ingredients than centrifugal juicers which pulverize the ingredients at high speeds (and temperatures) to get the juice out. It’s a personal preference and these things are expensive but I have had no second thoughts about Oscar – I love him.
It adds about 10 minutes to my morning routine but it’s totally worth it – it makes me feel invincible!
Nutritional Info, per serve
- Calories = 130
- Carbs (g) = 39
- Fat (g) = 1
- Protein (g) = 4
- Sugar (g) = 30
- Iron (%) = 3% RDI
Additional Goodness :)
- Potassium (mg) = 286.8
- Vitamin A (%) = 991%
- Vitamin C (%) = 27.9%
- Calcium (%) = 78.8%