How amazing is raw vegan food that I can have super-delicious ice cream and cookies for breakfast and know it’s good for me?! Made with coconut and cashews it’s full of good fats, carbohydrates, protein, fiber and all kinds of minerals, and it tastes better than any dairy-based ice cream I have ever tried… and no animals were harmed in the making. Amazing, no?
I had friends over for dinner last night and I had made chocolate cookies for desert. Earlier in the day, on a whim before brunch, I decided that an ice cream maker was in order so I whipped up a vanilla ice cream just before my guests arrived. We didn’t get as far as desert (long story) so this morning when I woke up with a little hangover (eeek!) I decided that I should try my wares… a good call if I do say so myself - I feel a lot better, if only for the excitement of knowing I can make a healthy, kick-ass desert :)
Be warned people – there is no longer any excuse to be eating dairy products…
Ingredients (ratios based on approximate flesh and water from one young coconut…)
- 1/2 cup tightly packed coconut meat
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup raw agave
- Sprinkle of vanilla powder
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth
- Freeze in an ice cream maker as per manufacturer’s instructions
- Put in a bowl, break chocolate cookies on top, and voilá – a desert that Ben & Jerry would be proud of
- You can also put in fruits, nuts or whatever you want during the freezing process – there are a lot of recipes around, this is just a simple base.
Guide: vegan | whole food, plant based | gluten-free | soy-free
It is clear that coconuts and I don’t really get along but I have decided that I am going to make ice cream all the time. To avoid the potential loss of limbs, I’m going to try buying pre-packaged raw organic coconut meat and water and would really appreciate recommendations if anyone out there already does this!
PPS. I have a very important amendment here…