I think I have got to the root of my problem with raw vegan hummus… we still want to call it hummus! I have tried lots of variations to get something close to the ‘real’ thing, with and without garbanzo beans and it’s just never the same. Tonight, however I tried Raw Rose’s hummus recipe and I really liked it, if I forgot I was trying to recreate something specific in the cooked world. So I want to call it Zucchini and Sunflower Seed Dip – is that ok?
- 1/2 cup dry sunflower seeds (to soak)
- 1 medium zucchini (approximately 2 cups) cut in 1” chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon and/or lime juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds (to grind), or 4 tablespoons raw tahini
- Soak sunflower seeds for 4 to 8 hours, then drain and rinse
- In food processor, process sunflower seeds and all ingredients, except sesame seeds or tahini, until smooth.
- Add sesame seeds (ground in a coffee grinder) or tahini, and process until combined
- Will keep for several days if refrigerated
I’m going to take it to work tomorrow with my flax seed crackers and some celery sticks – yum!
Thanks Rose :)
Guide: raw vegan | whole food, plant based | gluten-free | nut-free | sugar-free | soy-free