raw vegan squash chips
Squash is the new potato.
I just came home to the most wonderful smell of squash chips in the dehydrator and realized, as much as I used to think I loved potato chips, they ain’t got nothing on my squash chips. I also am embarrassed that I was so confused about what to with all the squash and zucchini that I had accumulated from two weeks of CSA bags from my farmer Bob and new friends at Marshall’s Fenway Farm Stand yesterday, but it had been so long since I made these that I had totally forgotten about them!
They’re sooo easy (easier than kale chips and less messy) and really, really tasty.
- As many zucchini and/or squash as you want
- Cold-pressed olive oil
- Victoria Gourmet’s Sicilian Spice
- Slice zucchini/squash into thin circles without peeling – I love practicing my knife skills with my beloved ceramic knife but you could use a mandolin too
- Place on a mesh dehydrator trays in single layers and lightly brush on a thin coating of oil with a pastry brush
- Sprinkle the spice evenly over the zucchini/squash and dehydrate for 12-15 hours – drying time will vary with the thickness of the cut and the amount of oil (really don’t use too much!) – you want them crispy.
- Store in a brown paper bag in a dry place for as long as you can make them last… I’ve just eaten the better part of 2 zucchini in one sitting!
If you have another favorite spice, experiment! I also like Victoria’s Herbes de Provence :)