spinach vegetable pilaf
Yum! I just made a delicious omnivore-approved, vegan, gluten-free spinach and vegetable pilaf for dinner – took a little longer than expected but totally worth the wait, and you can easily put it on to cook and leave it mostly unattended. To be honest, I haven’t cooked much at all lately so was inspired by a dish my cousin made when she visited last year, a few months after I broke my ankle and also hadn’t cooked for a while… brought back wonderful memories of family time.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 green onions, finely sliced with a few inches of green
- 1 cup vegetable broth (from scratch or using Rapunzel vegan stock cubes)
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili sauce
- 18oz. jar diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 3 large pinches of Moroccan Seasoning – I used Victoria Taylor’s
- 2 lbs. fresh baby spinach
- 2 handfuls small broccoli florets
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Toasted sunflower seeds
- Fresh flat parsley for garnish
- In a French oven or large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and green onions and saute until tender.
- Dissolve the tomato paste in the broth and add to pot, with diced tomatoes, rice and Moroccan seasoning – stir lightly.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, cover and lower heat to medium low.
- Simmer over medium low heat until the rice is cooked through (about 40-50 minutes) – stir occasionally and gently so as not to make mushy.
- Check liquid levels as stirring: if it looks too soupy cook with the lid off; if it’s too dry, add more water.
- Add spinach and broccoli when rice starts to soften and stir in gently.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately and garnish with sunflower seeds and fresh parsley.
Guide: vegan | whole food, plant based | gluten-free | nut-free | sugar-free | soy-free
The following night I was on a web conference for school so my boyfriend roasted an acorn squash and stuffed it with the leftovers! Yum : )